Monday, October 19, 2009

A Little Ocean, Right in Your Mouth

So at some point in the last two weeks, I have no idea when exactly, I met up with A. and A. and A. and two others at Sansom Street Oyster House. I walked. It was still warm then.
I started quite the trend when I ordered myself a dirty vodka martini with three olives. And by trend I mean that everyone else ordered one too. That, I think, totally counts as a trend. When A. showed up he bucked the trend, which was a little bit of a bummer but I guess we can't all have the same taste, now can we? It was deliciously dirty.
The buck a shuck oyster of the day were the Saddle Rocks, but I was interested in trying another thing too so I ordered half a dozen of the Saddle Rocks and half a dozen of the Pemaquids. This guy suggests that one think of Saddle Rocks as a slightly larger cousin of the Bluepoint, which I think is quite accurate. He also had a fairly interesting description of the Pemaquids, though I think my description (which I am about to give you) gets to the point more succinctly. So, you know how sometimes, when you're at the beach, riding waves and whatnot? And every once and a while your timing is off and you end up getting pushed into the water and not escaping without a snootful of water up your nose? The salt lingers in your nose and mouth for a second? Yeah, eating a Pemaquid was like that, only without the fear of drowning, and in a positive way. The briniest oysters I have ever had, but in a way that makes me remember them fondly.
After our oyster fare we went next door to Oscars, where I had a beer the size of my head! I also took advantage of their jukebox and put on some tunes...I forgot how much fun it is to flip through a jukebox's offerings.

2 comments:

nc catherine said...

Wow that IS a beer the size of your head. And what freshly painted nails even tho you type your fingers to the bone these days! And oysters that are briny enough to make you think you got a waved snoot full. Wow. What a description. I wish I could get over my total neurosis about raw oysters...used to eat 'em by the bushel basket but alas now...skeert of 'em. Which for you non-southerners is "scared" but we like to say skeert. Or if we are refined, skeered. Anyway. Must be my age...or something equally stupid since I eat sushi. Go figure.

cc said...

Oh Catherine, don't be scared of oysters. No. No. Nor expand on your reasons for bein' a'skeert. I love them. One of our party had his first dozen oysters ever! And he liked them! It was very exciting. For me.