Sunday, October 25, 2009

Brunch c/o Farmicia

Last Saturday L. and I met up and cabbed it to Farmicia for brunch. We were on the early side for brunch (11) and got a prime window seat, which made the lighting situation to my liking (one of the food blogger panel questions was what would be the one thing you would tell Philadelphia restauranteurs and chefs...if I had been on that panel I think my one thing would be: for the love of all that is holy, quit with the low lighting...it makes your food look like crap on my blog...ha, no really). Their Bloody Marys are half off during brunch, so there wasn't any reason for me not to start the meal with their Bloody Mary. It was to my liking.
For my meal, I went with eggs Benedict. They give you the choice of other Canadian bacon or smoked salmon, but with no difference in cost. I asked if I could have one of each, and the waitress told me that I could not, which I thought was a little weird...I mean, if the price is the same then why the hell not? I went with the bacon.
The dish was quite good. The Hollandaise sauce was plentiful and nicely balanced in terms of consistency (not too thick/pasty, but not too runny either), taste (not too lemony, but with a nice hint of it) and color (not neon)...and the eggs were perfectly poached. The English muffins on which the spinach, bacon and eggs sat stayed relatively crispy even while soaking up all that extra Hollandaise goodness. The bacon was thicker than some Canadian bacon that I have tried (which I liked) and very salty, almost too much so for my palate, but on the whole this meal pleased me greatly, as did the company. L. had herself the egg sandwich, which seemed quite lovely as well. I left very full and definitely interested in trying more of the restaurant's offerings on another day.
Mmmmmmmmm.

No comments: