Sunday, July 20, 2008

Sushi c/o Fuji Mountain

On Thursday I met up with J., J. and their younger son N for dinner at Fuji Mountain. J. started her meal with a saketini, while I started mine with a drink called, well, I can't remember but it was something like Cucumber Crush: Hendricks gin muddled with cucumbers and something else. Not quite as sweet as I had expected, it got a little better as it went along.
I ordered the regular sushi, which came with miso soup and salad. The salad's dressing was quite nice.
I also ordered wasabi tobiko. I'm thinking my penchant for this specific dish is waning...mainly because I haven't felt the same level of kick that I used to.
The fish was well cut and tasty.
J. ordered the Omakase and he seemed to enjoy the fancier salad, grilled prawns and fancier sushi he received.
J. ordered the vegetarian combo and seemed pretty satisfied with all her non-fish. She was so taken with one of the garnish elements of her husband's sushi plate she took it with her (well, actually, I put it in my purse on her behalf).
At the end of the meal I attempted to pay my part of the bill and was told that J. and J. don't accept credit cards. I thank them very much for the company and the meal. N. seemed to think about liking tofu, which was an exciting new find for an almost one year old.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah sushi. I had a fit on Friday, after a long meeting where I had to go and wear panty hose and heels and a suit sigh it was only 96 here in NC, so I treated myself to a little sushi lunch at Wasabi. Yummy is all I can say.

Then in the mountains where I had gone to fetch the teenager from camp, I had a Saturday night to myself and someone on the earlier slingshot trip had recommended the nearby sushi place, it was within walking distance so I said oh what the hell, Sushi Saturday too. I am here to say it was terrific. One really odd little special called "Dancing Girl" that had white tuna and cilantro and jalapeno (yeah yeah I know too many flavors but NOT) in a eggskin (new to me, kinda cool) with a wasabi mayo drizzled on it. WOW. The spider roll was good too, one whomping huge softshell. Spicy scallops were fine and the tuna pretty good too.

So, in Brevard NC in a nondescript strip mall kind of place lies the lovely and wonderful Sora Sushi. Lots of locals, greeted by name, and they would ask of the sushi meister: Are you making any Blue Ridge rolls? Green River rolls? Etc.

Great fun. Good eats. Sushi twice in one weekend, done died and gone to heaven!!! Not in the budget again any time soon but what a fabulous treat!

J said...

Ok, that does it. Sushi for dinner! And not even that, I'm gonna splurge and get some sorta crazy fancy rolls. I hope you're both happy.

Anonymous said...

So long as I am not blamed for your fiscal irresponsibility, Joshua, I say HAVE AT IT!!!

I like to pretend that every once in a while is enough, but ha it ain't...but I am fiscally responsible, mostly!

Enjoy!