Thursday, July 03, 2008

The Fine Line Between Self-Preservation and Fear

The title I just wrote could so totally be a chapter in some idiot's self-help book. Sigh. Last night at 12:48ish, about an hour after I had gone to bed, my sleep was interrupted by my building's fire alarm. As I may have not really mentioned in detail, I live in a high rise building, it has seventeen floors and many, many occupants. It also has a really annoying fire alarm complete with dude telling the residents not to use the elevators. I live on the 17th floor. My friend L. who also lives in this building told me about how unnecessary fire alarms were certainly a part of her life's experience while living here so I was torn about how seriously to take this call to escape. Then there was Zul. And what does one take in the event of a fire alarm they aren't really taking seriously?

More later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you need some sort of zipping shoulder bag to throw him into on these drills...easier than lugging his plastic cage down all those flights.
mc

Anonymous said...

As much as it may pain me to say this, take each drill seriously...the one time you blow it off will be the one time is if for real. Zul...hmmmm. Soft zippered catland carrier might be the ticket. That or look at stuffing him unexpectedly in his crate and toting him 17 flights as random exercise at a random hour brought to you randomly by idiotic electronics. Tell him he is going on a cat tour; they always fall for that yeah sure uh huh.

Well anyway, happy independence day! I did not leave my house, worked in the yard all day it seemed like, sighed over destructo dog destruction and its attendent debris, planned a canoe trip for the morrow, hauled the canoe out and stuck the racks on Big Bertha, read part of a trash book, painted a table. All good. I am idly thinking about walking 10 blocks to a high bump in the road to watch the fireworks, and then again I am idly thinking of not walking 10 blocks and not watching fireworks.