Friday, August 03, 2007

Slightly Less Classy Dinner

For dinner I made myself ramen. It was what it was. I ate it while watching Big Brother...I don't exactly understand how it happened but I am watching the show. Before three weeks ago I hadn't watched a single episode of the show...ever. All the people are idiots and the whole thing is stupid...and yet I tune in Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays to see which stupid person will be evicted. It's sick.

In other news I've read the first two books in Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials series. They are not anywhere close to making me forget about Harry Potter. The two series compared, by me, end with Harry Potter beating the living daylights out of Lyra Silvertongue on characterization, plotting and pacing. Eh.

3 comments:

claire said...

No way. Lyra would tie Harry's shoelaces together and then get Iorek to eat his hands. or something. Dark Materials is way awesomer. If for nothing else than the daemons.

J said...

I'm with Claire here. Harry Potter is kids' stuff. The Dark Materials are a lot more interesting.

cc said...

Well. I disagree with both of you. Though I just bought the third Dark Materials book. You really think that Lyra and her bunch are better written characters? Really? I don't feel for her or find her half as interesting as Harry, Ron, Hermione and, for that matter, Snape, Luna Lovegood, Neville Longbottom or so many others.

I'm not saying that the subject matter isn't deeper in the Pullman books...just that the storylines and characters are, by far, stronger in the Potter books.

Lyra isn't half as engaging as Harry. I have cried in Harry Potter books. I have not even felt the shudder of a true emotion in the dark materials...not even when Will sees his father and then, well you know what happens. I just feel that way.

Maybe it's because you both went to Vassar...I'm not sure if that would mean that you're smarter than me or not...let's say...what? Nevermind.