Friday, August 03, 2007

Pork Shoulder Dinner

On Monday I made pork butt. I'm getting quite good at it. I followed my basic recipe but added two small hot peppers and ginger. It was also the largest shoulder I've worked with. In the past the shoulders have been about five pounds before cooking. This one was at least ten pounds. It just made it much harder to turn. In fact it was downright impossible to turn once the meat had gotten good and cooked and tender...to turn it would mean instant falling meat. It would be the Falling Meat Crisis of July, 2007. We invited five people over and they all came. Mom made deviled eggs and one of the guests brought homemade ratatouille.
The shoulder didn't quite keep its form when transferred from the roasting pan to the serving plate...but no matter, it was quite good. I think it may have been my best yet.
Mom made a wonderful salad, baked beans and okra. I made roasted potatoes, peppers and onions.

Mmmmm. The next day I made a lot of the leftover meat into pulled pork.

No comments: