Friday, August 03, 2007

Lunch In Tullahoma

Once we realized we weren't shoving off towards Memphis yesterday, the parents and I drove to Tullahoma. The original reason for this was to go look for shoes to match the suit that I will wear for my upcoming interview. But, we reasoned, we might as well have lunch before looking for shoes. We went to Emil's. The parents called it French but when I first looked at the lunch menu I was a bit confused. It wasn't really French. There were burgers and chicken salad on the menu...suspcious? Upscale-esque, perhaps but I don't think there was a single truly-recognizable-as-French dish on the menu. I just checked their dinner menu and see that it's a bit more geared in that direction. But as my, I forget which, parent said: well, the restaurant wouldn't really succeed if it stuck to French cuisine. We were seated in one of the converted house's rooms. There were two other tables of four people or more. And they were very loud. Or perhaps they weren't that loud and the space just made it so we could hardly hear each other...even our server commented on it. I started with the tomato cream soup with basil pesto. It was served hot (good) and was quite good-this wasn't Campbell's tomato soup, there was a complexity and real texture to the dish. The pesto was a big part of the goodness and I sort of wished they had given me just a little more of a dollop.
I had their blackened tuna over Caesar salad. It was one of the lunch specials of the day. I was pleased. The tuna was cooked all the way through which, of course, isn't entirely necessary...I do like my tuna a little pink in the center. But it wasn't dried out so I won't complain. The fish was topped with a jalapeno mayonnaise that really had a kick to it. The salad dressing was good. They were a little stingy with the croutons however...I had three.
Oh! And I had Arnold Palmers (free refills!) for my lunch beverage...sweet tea and lemonade! Sweet tea! Sweet tea! Lemonade!
And, for my father's satisfaction, below is my father's crabcake with fries. Both my parents went with crab cakes. I was tempted...but seeing as how every single time I ever get a crab cake in a restaurant I always end up huffy, disappointed and snobbish, I decided against it. I did try a bit of my father's cake and it wasn't bad....but, shoot, they're still not as good as mine.
I didn't end up finding any shoes. I flirted with getting the postal exam prep book and this guy's latest (waterproof) book in a bookstore. We went to a department store and got me a summeryish suit and a jean outfit kind of thing.

No comments: