Friday, August 10, 2007

Our next foray into food while in Savannah was dinner at Saigon, a Thai and Vietnamese restaurant on Broughton Street. Alas it did not meet my expectations. I ordered the cucumber salad, tom yum soup and soft shell crab appetizer. The tom yum was strangely sweet with hardly any wisp of lemongrass or flavor heat. The mushrooms were not straw and the tomatoes were big and unnecessary. It was decidedly not very good.
What I like about cucumber salads at Thai restaurants is the sweet vinegary dressing that usually comes with it. Unfortunately this salad came with a different dressing...I forget what its name is but it's another kind of Thai sauce and not half as subtle or light as the sweet vinegary one I have mentioned. It was also disappointing.
Then there was the soft shell crab appetizer. It was large and not very good at all. I hate being so negative but it's simply the truth. Though I'm sure that there was soft shell crab somewhere in the depths of the funnel-cake-like batter it was a) skimpy and b) overwhelmed by the sweet and thick dough surrounding it. I tore apart many of the pieces just to make sure there was some kind of meat inside it and there was in many...though some were purely dough. It was gross. It's hard to make fried food suck...but they did.
I should mention that my parents both had pho and said it was decent.

No comments: