Thursday, January 11, 2007

Sybaritic?

After our meandering we found a place to stay (this would be too pricey for us during the tourist season but was only a little over budget during the off season...$75), right on the river no less. After we dumped some of our stuff into our room with king sized bed and balcony looking out on the river, we we to Steamer's for a first round of food. We each had a dozen oysters then shared some crawfish. The oysters were good but I thought the shucker could have been a bit more vigilant in cleaning his knife....bits of mud and grit in most of my lovelies.
I'm not all that familiar with crawfish but I expected them to be slightly juicier than they were. My mother suggests that it wasn't actually the season, and I'll buy that, I did have fun, however, sucking their heads.
After that we took a small break in our room before heading down the stairs and over to Boss Oyster for another round of food. I decided to mix it up, relatively speaking, and try some toppings on the oysters. Boss Oyster has quite a selection of different ways to dress up an oyster. I chose the combination platter (a dozen oysters, four different toppings) with the Oyster Rockafella topping (pretty standard, grilled, spinach laden and cheese topped though dry and lacking hollandaise sauce...am I making up the hollandaise sauce?), some kind of oyster with capers and garlic (also grilled). On the raw side I had the oyster sashimi and the oyster japonais. These two were much more similar than I thought from the descriptions on the menu...but loaded to heavenly degrees with WASABI TOBIKKO! I was happy. If you were ever to order at Boss Oyster, I would go with the one with seaweed...(sashimi, I think).
I also had one soft shelled crab. More fried up than I genuinely like but still tasty. I don't think it's possible that it was fresh fresh but it was large and juicy.

2 comments:

J said...

Oh my God, that all looks amazing. I am super jealous.

I believe soft shell crab season is May through October, but all that matters is if it tasted good.

cc said...

And good it did taste. Next time you go down south you and your buddies shouldn't go to the mountains...you should go to the 'forgotten coast'. Though I don't know what Toby would eat. Grits, I guess.