Monday, January 08, 2007

Oysters at Barnacle Bill's

It was nice to see the boyfriend's family, especially his older sister who (somehow) I hadn't seen in a year. But it was also nice to get away, just the two of us, even if it was only for less than twenty four full hours. Where did we go, you ask? Well we went to Appalachicola, with a pit stop in Tallahassee. Both in Florida. We stopped in Tallahassee to get our first of many oyster fixes. This fix was provided to us by Barnacle Bill's, and was a lovely beginning to true gluttony. Once in Tallahassee we got into some pretty rough traffic. The boyfriend became grumpy and grew a second set of teeth (and a mean little man on his shoulder). The traffic ended up being a consequence of a million marching bands making a bit of a parade...it was inaugaration day...I'm not quite sure who the lucky guy was.
At Bill's we ordered two dozen oysters and their 'fried dill pickle chips'. Our shucker ended up giving up thirty oysters and we loved every one of them. The pickles were not as great. I think that the Red Hook Diner's version (spears instead of chips) is far better.
My favorite quote from their menu: Why do we serve oysters year round? Because they're delicious. Hell yeah they are. This place was unfancy but in an appealing way. The oysters were shucked right in front of our eyes and placed directly on the bar...who needs ice when they're coming directly from ice to your mouth? Not me, that's who.
Two dozen oysters, two beer and the pickle chips were about twenty five dollars. Can someone say deal?
I was a pirate and blogger is stupid.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been reading your blog for years, I think this is where I found you. I live in Tallahassee, and vaguely remember googling Barnacle Bills (trying to figure out their trivia night) and finding you. I've been reading you every day since. Just wanted to drop you a note to let you know I love your blog.

cc said...

Well thank you kindly KC. It's always nice to know there's a regular reader out there:)

I haven't been to Tallahassee or the Gulf Coast in a long time, but boy did I enjoy it when I was there.