Thursday, October 30, 2008

My Latest Addiction


A while back my coworker, C., mentioned that she was reading the Twilight series of books. I knew that the series was written by a Mormon, or Jehovah's Witness or some such person and that it involved vampires. Take away the religion, and I knew these books would be right up my readerly alley. Especially when I learned that C. had the whole set! So now, I'm on the last book and I am trying very hard not to read it because I know that once I do, there won't be any more lovely vampire/werewolf stories to follow. It's the same old thing, intense, ridiculous love, heightened danger and physical prowess. Magic. You know, the usual. Not all that well written but populated with familiar character archetypes that allow you, the reader, to get real comfy real fast. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. Whatever will I read when I'm done? I was thinking about Richard Russo's Bridge of Sighs the other day, I don't remember liking the book all that much but its main character is now popping into my head at odd moments. And I can always re-read Empire Falls while I'm at it. Or, I could go in a different direction, it may be about time to pick up John Irving's Widow For One Year again, or Margaret Atwood's Cat's Eye. Hmmm. So many books. And this post, just one long procrastination before I give up, make myself a cup of tea, wrap myself up in blankets and get on with learning how Bella and Edward and Jacob and the gang are going to end up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The resident teen snarfed this series up lickety split. Apparently there are many overlaps between said teen and Bella in terms of odd stuff, sleeping attire, clumsiness, height etc...so said teen is gonna write Ms Myers about the similarities.

I on the other hand have yet to read them, too much in an uproar with school and work. Saving them for Christmas break, such as that is for me!

And, Midnight Sun, the Twilight story from Edward's perspective, is already loaded in parts on madame's website, and the whole book will be out later next year or so. The end is not the end.