Saturday, September 13, 2008

Day's Planning

Last night, though a Friday, I stayed in and behaved myself. I watched a few episodes of Mad Men, and saw what all the fuss was about. It was a very, very rainy day and night and I was glad to stay dry. Today I woke up with a good number of things on my agenda. First and foremost, go to Home Depot and get a replacement futon bar...actually that would tie with go to Home Depot and get proper bolts for my desk so I can stop using a rubbermaid container and a beach chair as my office space. Well, I went to Home Depot and struck out on both counts. I don't know why I thought they'd have dudes just frothing at the bit to help me cut a piece of wood and drill holes in it...that just wasn't going to happen. And the bolt guy said he didn't have my bolts and suggested I go to a smaller store. Hmmpf. So I did.
This is the Divine Lorraine Hotel. I wish I could have taken a picture of the front, with the 3-10 homeless people hanging out on its stoop but I was driving and these pictures were difficult enough. It really is a beautiful, regal old building. I hope that the delays in its restoration/renovation don't morph into a simple demolition. That would be sad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I moved here lo these many years ago the movers managed to lose some pieces parts to my bed. No big deal I thought, just go to the Storehouse and see if they have the bolts and whatnot for the bed they had sold us a few years earlier. Ha who was I kidding. Finally, after going to Home Depot and Lowes and the little lady with the little neighborhood hardware shop, I got sent to a Bolt and Screw store on the downtown edge of total iffiness. They had something that would work. Forty-cent piece, hour out of my day to find the place and wend my way past the guys on the edge of rehab. Sigh. But the sheer nature of the store always reminded me of the loopy very early SNL skit about the Tape Store. Only sold clear tape, not even duct tape, and certainly not audio or video tape.

Guess you had to be there.

Good luck getting the replacement bar for the futon. Is it not yet time to call the movers and rag on them for their screw up? I mean, dropping it down the elevator shaft??? The odds boggle the mind!

cc said...

Yeah. My hardware store was on the edge of iffiness too...though I feel that way constantly in Philly. It was actually kind of awesome. I was pretty much the only person under 30 and definitely the only white girl under 30. And yet I didn't feel super uncomfortable (or no more uncomfortable that a white girl under thirty would feel in any hardware store) and the dudes who helped me were actually, um, helpful?

And when I came back an hour later, having realized that I needed two additional bolts, a totally new (and partially toothless) man remembered me and helped me. At one point he thought he found the bolt I neeeded...but then realized that it was wrong. So I said 'so close' and he said something that I don't remember in its entirety but it went something like this:

"[thing cc forgets] and atomic bombs are the only things that so close is good enough". I had to stand there for a second before I realized the absolute truth to his statement.

Yes. So some mover guy is going to come and take a look on Wednesday but I think that pretty much kills the nonexistent chance of me getting a date with the tall one.