Thursday, September 10, 2009

Country Drive

After breakfast A. and I made a trip to the local Amish produce center...and another farmstand...in order to get a few things for the planned dinner. We drove down country roads laden with pretty. It was overwhelming. The problem with pretty places is that there are so many things to sigh over and want a piece of, but, you can't take pretty home with you. What? We drove past signs for towns with names like Ovid and Covert.



I had a moment where I thought to myself that maybe it was in this area I should buy myself my little hermit house and while away the rest of my days in contented misanthropy...but then I remembered how crazy the winters must be up this far...and my curmudgeonly temperament lessened considerably. What?
So many old barns. A. and I discussed our mutual interest in living in a barn. I wondered whether a barn that has gotten to this point of dilapidation can be renovated.
At the Amish produce place/farm there were chickens! Fancy fancy chickens! It was out of control how fancy they were. It was also difficult to take photographs of them because many of them (including the non-chicken peacock) were enjoying the shade of the coop, and the mesh keeping them enclosed was an awkward size for the camera lens.
I think if I were to get a tattoo, it might be of a beautiful chicken.

We purchased basil, raspberries, bacon and maybe something else. They did not, however, have fresh corn.


Moo cows!
Because the Amish didn't have fresh corn, we went to the other favorite produce spot of A.'s family. There were these lovely arrangements of freshly cut flowers that I just couldn't get enough of looking at.

And there you have it, that was our drive to get veggies.

No comments: