Thursday, September 17, 2009

Chicken Thoughts

I continue to flirt with the idea of a chicken tattoo. This is very low on my financial expenditure list, so it probably won't happen. But maybe. It seems I'm particularly drawn to black and white chickens with a splash of red somewhere. I imagine it on my right shoulder, not huge and not a profiled head shot...but with some sort of strong graphic movement of some kind. I like this guy's art, it seems he specializes in chickens. I bought a print of the painting below at an arts fair last fall and have it hanging in my room. This is a bit of a gloomy chicken.
Chickens don't mean much to me, symbolically. I mean, there is the universally acknowledged connotation of the word, in which chicken is synonymous with coward. I don't really think of myself as a coward, I'd certainly prefer it if the rest of the world didn't view me as one. But I wouldn't describe myself as brave either. Perhaps it would be a chicken, and below it would say, ce ci n'est pas un poulet, wouldn't that be hilarious.
I'd want the image to have a dignity to it, not so much a homeliness or domestic feeling. An epic chicken on my shoulder, where I couldn't see it unless I had a specfic mirror set up. Which, then, makes one wonder why have it at all?
I think I'd like it more realistic than not. I think. But maybe not.




Also, it's my dad's birthday this very day, happy birthday to him.

6 comments:

nc catherine said...

Um ok my first impulse was WTF don't get a tattoo. Managed to say a good chunk of it out loud. Resident Teen said oh mom if she wants to get a tattoo that is ok...um what is that? Oh, I said, a chicken a fancy chicken she wants maybe a chicken tattoo on her shoulder. "WTF don't get a tattoo" was the Teen's response...hmmm a b/w uber chicken on a shoulder not visible except with special mirrors...

Would you still love it after a day or two???? I know my queasiness about tattoos is obvious...But still, would you love it?

Happy Birthday to your daddio.

Anonymous said...

No. Please no.

Your mom

HinTN said...

Fuggitaboutit!!! Chicken is good to have, but not onya.

Anonymous said...

WTF ? OF A CHICKEN???

I don't "get it". A chicken means nothing to you, yet you wish to permanently place an ink drawing of said bird on your body for the REST OF YOUR LIFE ? Where you can't even see it ?

I think I have officially jumped the shark to old age. I hear my father's voice in my head.

My vote ? Don't do it.

Signed, Anonymous stranger, yet long time reader, first time poster.

cc said...

Whoa, relatives and strangers alike are certainly not feeling this.

Chickens are pretty is all I'm saying.

Raya said...

I say get the chicken tatoo somewhere smallish and coverable.Their pretty and it would make a great coversation starter.
(thinking about where a chicken would look best as a tatoo on someone is making me laugh though...lower leg, bicep, wrist,lower back hmmmm:)