Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Graduation Sushi c/o Indie Cafe

On Sunday I took myself out to sushi at Indie Cafe. I started with a seaweed salad that was decent and definitely generous. No padding on the bottom with cucumbers, this was pure seaweed.
Next came the Crunchy roll: yellowtail, scallion and asparagus roll "lightly deepfried" and topped with barbeque sauce. I somehow overlooked the asparagus part and wasn't all that glad to see it. But there was at least one green bean as well.
And, call me crazy, but it looks like there is definitely some tuna in that there maki. It was good when warm but kind of not. This is, for me, the problem with all this new fangled (and totally inauthentic) fried maki. It's a novelty to eat it warm but then it feels very wrong (morally).
I also ordered white tuna, wasabi tobbiko and a salmon skin roll. The wasabi tobbiko lacked wasabi (this happened to me at Hama Matsu the last time I dined there as well...I think they all have the same supplier and not enough people ever call them out on the fact that the itty bitty eggs just don't have any kick). White tuna was good as always. The salmon skin was good, slightly loose in its rolling and I could have done with less sauce...but good. And the waitress was good about my tobbiko complaint and took it off the bill.
Lastly I had the Rainbow Roll: California maki topped with tuna, salmon, yellowtail, avocado, squid and shrimp. I'm not a fan of squid so I didn't really eat the piece that had a lot of it. Actually, I like squid just fine when it's cooked. It's the sushi kind of squid that I can't get into...believe me I've tried but every time it makes me feel sick. It makes me feel what some rabid vegetarian would feel about eating a bit of cooked meat of any kind. Mainly it makes me feel icky.
I may be going through some sort of malaise when it comes to sushi (and perhaps even other aspects of my life) and because of this I didn't find any of the dishes all that wonderful. Filling and satisfying without a question none of it made me go 'wow'. The dining experience was nice nonetheless. I listened to an ipod episode of Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me and found myself chuckling a few times. It's weird to go to a restaurant and eat alone. Less weird for lunch than for dinner. I always have to decide whether I care what my server will think of me...both for being alone and for listening to an ipod during my meal. But the ipod, in many ways, is far more subtle than the solitary diner's usual prop: the book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks very yummy. Maybe I'll have sushi for lunch! Congrats for graduating.

Unknown said...

have you tried Osaka on the corner of Van Buren & Michigan? it's really tiny, has no sign, and is cheap, delicious, and not too ridiculous. simple stuff...amaaazing salmon rolls.