Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Seafood Cake and Sushi c/o Doma

Last Friday I convinced C. to come with me to Doma. Well, I'm not sure that convincing was entirely necessary, or that it even happened. So. To start anew. Last Friday C. and I went to Doma. We were both quite taken with the idea of okonomiyaki, "a Japanese style seafood pancake with bacon, assorted julienned vegetables [and] bonito shavings." I don't know how to explain what this actually tasted like, but it was good. The copious bonito shavings curled and unfurled as a result of the heat from the pancake, making the entire dish seem as if it was alive (in a way that I liked, not like cutting a piece of meat off a still breathing fish). Oh man. The pickled ginger, if that's what it was...maybe it was gingered something else...had a nice spiciness to it, while the sauce aspect (tasted mostly like eel sauce) was sweet, but not too much so.
We made a big dent in the dish, but there were a few last pieces left on the plate. For my main meal I ordered the omakase signature roll, a piece of white tuna and wasabi tobikko. I don't know what has happened to my palate, but wasabi tobikko no longer has the same heat it used to. In Chicago I started to find that the wasabi tobikko not only wasn't spicy, it tasted strangely of cotton candy. But that, it seemed, was a matter of a distributor issue for all the restaurants that I had been visiting - mainly Hama Matsu. Man I miss that place. If you live in Chicago, go there please and think of me/somehow embody my spirit so totally that it will be as if I am putting a sushi mold piece up to my lips. So, the point was that the wasabi tobikko had a little kick. And the sashimi piece of white tuna was quite nicely cut, and generous. Though it wasn't the same color as I'm used to my 'white tuna' being. The problem, and I know this, is that the term 'white tuna' is applied to a number of different fish, in actuality. So, the difference in color is, I would suppose, because it was different than the typical 'white tuna.' But here is the strange thing: it still tasted the same, with that buttery moistness. The meat itself wasn't as melt-in-your-mouth-y, but the taste was still very good. I'm not a sushi expert, so I can't make any real conclusions.
The signature omakase roll experience was described as "6 individually prepared maki pieces with chef's selection of fish and assorted toppings," which it was. While I have only positive things to say about the meal and restaurant as a whole, I was a bit let down by the amount of thought that seemed to go into the presentation. Perhaps my real gripe is that I thought that there would be something interesting going on in the maki portion of each piece. In other words, that it wouldn't simply be rice wrapped in seaweed, that there would be something going on fish/taste-wise. So, basically, it seemed more like a bastardized plate of sashimi on rice. While the lack of real creativity was a bit of a bummer, the fish was fresh, and well cut...not that I really know anything about sushi knife skills. My favorite piece is the third from the tuna...I think it was monk fish paté? Or something. There was just this smooth texture going on, and why can't I think of the right word? Tasty? Will tasty do? Maybe not. I also learned that as much as I want to like uni, because I know all the cool, hip, knowledgeable foodies/Japanese people like it, I just don't. This was the fourth piece of uni I have tried. I think trying something four times, even after not really caring for it the first few times is enough. No more uni for me.
I bought a bottle of Vouvray and brought it along (the place is BYOB). Perhaps not the best pairing, but still enjoyable. I definitely will go back. Maybe right now. No. Not right now, I have other plans!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any restaurant that is BYOB gets a thumbs up from me.

j, foodie blog enthusiast said...

oh MAN i need to hunt down a local version of that seafood pancake!

uni varies for me - sometimes it's slightly sweet and mellow and nice, and sometimes it's the embodiment of how low tide smells, in sushi form.

Huckleberry said...

okonomiyaki are truly wonderful -- though the last time I had one was years, many years back.

cc said...

mmmm. i keep thinking about going back there. but i need to get a grip and start saving money for my upcoming seattle trip...and then canada!

Kathryn McHinion said...

Really looks yummy! Sushi is one of my favorite dishes. I wanna try that seafood cake. That seems delicious..

J said...

wait, so the wasabi tobiko was spicy again, or tasted like cotton candy still like it started to in Chicago?

I'M CONFUSED!

cc said...

it was spicier than in chicago, but not as spicy as it used to be on the whole. in other words, the joy of spiciness i formerly enjoyed when i consumed wasabi tobikko has been effectively watered down.

i know there are reasons for this. but nonetheless.