Saturday, March 10, 2012

Asparagus Soup and Foie Gras Mushroom Toast Beast c/o McCrossen's

Last Monday LW and I went to McCrossen's to play some darts. I also wanted to eat some food. I ended up deciding on the special soup - Asparagus, and the foie gras/mushroom/magic bread toast monster that's been an on again, off again special fr a while. The soup was c-r-e-a-m-y, but not boring. I often find that people just rely on the fattiness of the cream to be the main draw to an asparagus soup, and sometimes that can work - just a little salt and pepper, hopefully a good base stock. But it gets old. This kind of reminded me of a Maryland crab bisque or chowder. I'm not sure if that's because there was actually a hint of Old Bay (can't decide if that light sprinkling is exactly that, or paprika?). Whatever the combination of spices, this was a deceptively complex bowl.
I'd had this before and already knew how much I was looking forward to foie gras morsels, tender mushrooms, a nice helping of arugula and, last but not least, some kind of mad genius sauce that the bread soaked up in such a way that it had the soft consistency of French Toast...only instead of being full of sweet maple syrup, it was a more savory soaking up. Then we played darts.

No comments: