Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Phone Etiquette

The way I answered the phone when I was a kid:

(my parents are home)

Me: Hello?
Person: Hi, is Mister or Missus so and so around?
Me: I'll see if they're available, may I ask who's speaking?
Person: I represent a telemarketer type pitchy guy.
Me: I'm sorry he's not here right now. May I take a message?

The way my mother (once) answered the phone when I was a kid:

Mom: Hello?
Person: Hi, Missus so and so?
Mom: Yes?
Person: I'm calling on behalf of Acme Lawn company with an exciting deal on mowing services.
Mom: We're not interested.
Person: If you give me one moment of you time, Missus so and so, I can tell you about the great deals we're offering.
Mom: We don't have a lawn, just astroturf, thanks though.

The way my father (once or twice) answered the phone when I was a kid:

Dad: Hello.
Person: Hello Mr. Whosawhat?
Dad: Yes.
Person: I'm calling on behalf of Jupiter Moon Savings and Loan with an exciting-
Dad: I'm busy.
Person: If you'll just give me a second to tell you abou this great-
Dad: I don't call you while you're at home. Give me your address and phone number and then maybe we'll talk.
Person: Sir....

Okay that last one I'm still working on. I just remember that however my father phrased it the person got very uptight and did, in fact, call back later in the week with a message on our machine giving phone number and address information (and attitude).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and this is the way your boyfriend once answered the phone as a youngun: HELL-LO, POOPOOHEAD!

our vice principal responded: um, let me talk to your mother.

true story.