Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Chirashi c/o Umai Umai

At some point in the past I once again made my way to Umai Umai and sidled up to the sushi bar. I briefly looked at the menu, but I already knew I was destined to order the chirashi. And destiny cannot be denied. There were a few changes from the bowl I had last time around. Perhaps the most noticeable being the octopus wrapped around mint...or maybe it was a shiso leaf. In any event, it was just what I wanted it to be and I remained quite impressed with the quality of the cuts and the fact that I actually like raw scallop.
I had a brief conversation with the sushi chef (and I think owner?) about the restaurant's lack of social media presence, how moonies supply the restaurant (along with pretty much all other sushi joints in the U.S.) and that was really the crux of the conversation. He's a pretty chill guy and I hope that we will slowly become friends in the way that a customer and a chef can, which is to say that he happily takes my money and I happily give it to him? I'm not sure what I really meant there.
In any case, it was a delightful evening's meal.

No comments: