Thursday, December 01, 2011

Thanksgiving Pre-Eating (With a Side of Eating)

After I returned from my walk, the Thanksgiving preparations notched up a gear (wow, that makes sense). I was generally in the way or not overly helpful, but at least I documented some things? I guess? I did help with the mashed potatoes? In any case, here is what the dining room table looked like. Turkey and its babies!
A beautiful cornucopia of fresh flowers.
A refreshing blend of champagne, cranberry juice and pineapple juice. This day was the first day that I ate a cranberry straight up ... and promptly spit it out due to its intense pucker-sour effect. Who needs sour patch kinds when you have cranberries? Other than Method Man, of course.

I got very, very excited when it was revealed that one of the two turkeys that we would eat was going to be deep fried. I have long wanted to see the process and try the results, but without being responsible for the whole situation. So I was glad that I could simply observe R. and C. and their process. Here are the oil jugs, emptied of oil, that it took to fill up the pot.
C. had rubbed the ten pound turkey with some Cajun seasoning. At this point they're skewering it on a base that would then be lowered into the bubbling oil.
There is some dignity to this turkey.
D.'s sister made a spinach dip that was brought out during the turkey prep. Seriously it was 66+ degrees. I was so happy.
R. lowering the turkey, ever so slowly, into the vat of boiling oil.
C. protecting his cousin's nether regions from any spattering. Now that's family.
And all the way in!
I bet there are now over 200 photographs of these guys doing their turkey dance, as we all gathered and took our respective angles on the process. Digital photography has ruined us all.

We all continued sipping on champagne and eating little treats while waiting for the second turkey to be complete (another was happily roasting in the oven).
Seriously a beautiful, beautiful day. This sunlight on the trees really got me.
And after about 40 or so minutes, it was time to remove the turkey from its scaldingly lovely home.
Then came the delicate process of getting it into a horizontal position and unskewering it.


I encouraged them to have 'triumphant' looks on their faces, I think that they a) had too many cameras to look at and b) perhaps didn't realize how truly triumphant they were.

No comments: