Thursday, December 07, 2006

Asian Avenues Lunch

After reading an article about this, I've become quite aware of my faux sushi tendencies. I don't think I'm the worst offender but ... well, I still go to House of Sushi and Noodles even though I know the quality of fish and the traditional sushi factor are both low. In spite of my inherent snootiness, the boyfriend and I went to Asian Avenues for lunch a few days ago. We went for lunch and both took advantage of very decent lunch specials. I had a four piece hand roll combo for ten bucks (which included salad and miso soup) and the boyfriend had the same thing in maki form. The boyfriend also ordered a Thai beef salad which wasn't as Thai as he expected, but still pretty tasty.

The combon included a tekka, California, Spicy Tuna and Avocado handrolls. I also, of course, had wasabi tobikko, white tuna and ikura. The ikura wasn't quite all that but the tobikko was spice-tacular and the tuna was butterrific.
Oh and we took the bus and it was cold.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm first it is the story that the Rev. Moon and his enormous ilk own all the fish boats in the world that supply sushi grade fishies.

Now it is the Japanese getting their noses out of joint because people do "other variations" on a raw-ish fish theme.

Dang it just takes all the enjoyment out to know that (a) the moonies control the supply and (b) the Japanese are gonna police my favorite spots. I imagine they will have quite the fit at the Nashville, Asheville, Greensboro versions that refer to odd local celebraties, sports phenoms (Nascar sushi coming to mind), or the weird local foods incorporated into a roll.

This a little much, both this comment and the whole idea of the food police, Japanese style...

J said...

That said, I've noticed that the quality of sushi one finds at most places in NY is really low. I wouldn't mind having the option of at least knowing which places were certified by Japan.

Italy does the same thing with pizza places.

Also, how come the sushi in Chicago looks so much more amazing than here and that all the combos come with like 80 different rolls?

cc said...

It just makes me think about how I have never (probably) had sushi that would be up to par with Japanese standards. And maybe I'm selling my favorite restaurants short ... but maybe I'm not. I feel like I wouldn't mind knowing where the Japanese Ministry would go if they were in town but I wonder whether there would be any ramifications for restaurants like House of Sushi and Noodles or Asian Avenues.

Does Italy do the same thing with pizza places in America...or only in Italy?

There is a better variety of combo rolls in Chicago...though New Tokyo (or was it sushi express?) one of the vassar places, did a good job of mixing it up.