Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Dinner At China Star

The other night the boyfriend and I went to China Star restaurant on Bryn Mawr (near the train station) in our neverending quest for a Chinese restaurant to call our own....China Star wasn't it. We ordered hot and sour soup, potstickers, shrimp balls, chicken and pineapple rolls and sweet and sour wontons. The soup was good, though extremely thick and there was a little too much of it. Well, clearly we over ordered, so the amount of soup isn't really the problem.
We knew that the shrimp rolls were going to be fried but I, at least, hadn't understood that the chicken pineapple rolls would be fried-and in the exact same way as the shrimp balls-too. I was pretty disappointed with them both.
The potstickers were good though. Simple, not overly fried, good amount of filling and a nice sauce accompanied them.
The restaurant lacks ambience, which is probably okay since most of their business seemed to be takeway. The lady who served us was nice. But the food was just not it. When and where and how will I ever find my Chicago Chinese restaurant?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you want some recommendations I'd be glad to give you some.

cc said...

Are these recommendations for places near my house? Because this is a key element in a successful 'my Chinese restaurant' search.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm ... no probably not. Although it depends on what you consider near. Anywhere's walking distance if you have the time.