Friday, June 16, 2006

Synopsis

Breakfast for the last QM2 morning was a half of grapefruit and a toasted (sad) bagel with smoked salmon, cream cheese, capers and red onion...familiar, eh?

Once off the boat we went into this scene and collected our baggage.
This photograph is out of sequence but captures my parents dancing down deck 12 on our morning aboard (we were off the ship by 10:00 am).
Once we got off the boat everything went wonky. Sea legs are not land legs and I still find myself compensating for non-existent swells...it's like being drunk, only different. Trouble started when we got to where we were to pick up the rental car and found that they had not, in fact, reserved it for us...this was partially because of U.S/U.K. business communication and links and partially just because it was dumb. Anyways, it took an hour before we were told to wait two and half hours more and to go somewhere else entirely and pick up a completely different car. So we wandered around Southampton, stopped and had a half pint at The Bosun's Locker (Dad keeps on foisting real British ale at me, but it's warm and kind of bitter and I don't think I like it very much) and then wandered around a big British mall for a while. We then returned to the first car rental place to collect our large amount of baggage. After the baggage was gotten we took a taxi to the Southampton airport, at this point in time it was around 2:30 pm. We went to the car rental place we had been told to go to and the man behind the counter had no idea who we were or why we were there. Long story short: we waited an additional three hours at the airport. Ugh.
This is one of the three big, black and beautiful dogs at the B&B we're currently staying at. I think this one's name is Badger. I need to head off to my second meal but I have three more meals to report, a few harrowing traffic incidents, beer and some bird for the two of you who care about such things.
In fact, Magpie guy, I've seen a few magpies...I never knew how pretty they are. My parents are all 'duh, that's so obvious' but I'm all 'hey I totally didn't know about them'. Blah.

2 comments:

Derek said...

cute dog and a great blog

cc said...

Thanks...I wish the dog was mine to claim. One day, one day.