Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Queen Mary, Day Five

Queen Mary II, Day 5

Well last night after writing up my post I drank a lot of beer. Actually I drank a lot of beer way before writing the post as both men I was watching the soccer match with ended up buying me a half pint. Then we had wine with dinner, then I went to the pub and met a nice older couple from the UK and we talked about this and that and then the husband bought me a beer…I had asked for a half pint but he decided I needed a full pint. So much beer for so very long. Today I paid the price of little sleep and too much alcohol and ended up doing very little.

Very little means going to breakfast with the parents, lying down, going outside and briefly reading, lying down, writing by the pool, taking a nap and then dinner. For dinner I had the Symphony of Seafood appetizer-one cold scallop, salmon terrine and salmon tartare. For dessert I had the ice cream but could not finish it. Now I'm in the Commodore Lounge sipping a virgin Mary and thinking about all the typos in the post I just put up on blogger. I'm still wearing my dinner clothing but think I will get out of them soon and maybe go use an outdoor hot tub. The most interesting part of dinner tonight was when after they brought our entrées to the table, our waiter went to each of us with the lobster and removed the tail from the already split shell, luxury.



My lying down a lot today did facilitate the finishing of The Perks of Being a Wallflower. It's an interesting book because it is all in letter form and the main character, Charlie, is an extremely quirky guy. I was kind of sad when it ended, I got to really like his wack-a-doodle perspective on things.



Tomorrow I'll attempt to actually get to the kennels and that's really the only thing I'm sure I need to do. Oh, and I want to have lunch in the Britannia Restaurant. The movie they'll play tomorrow is Failure To Launch and I'm always up for a little SJP, so perhaps that will happen. It probably will.

This trip has gone by both quickly and slowly, like many weeks or almost weeks do. I feel a little guilty that I wasn't enjoying the scenery as much today but lying down and reading was awfully nice. Tomorrow is our last day on the ship and the day after that we'll be pulling into South Hampton. The parents and I will take a taxi to a car rental place and then go spend two or three days in the bed and breakfast owned by the niece of a friend of my parents (the man of my makeout photograph for those of you who have been with me for a while). Then we'll go on to Lambourne and stay in the B&B that my parents have been going to for ten years. Oh my goodness. A four phased fantastical trip. Big breaths, cc, big breaths.



Queen Mary II, Day 6, High noon
Well I just had a late breakfast of eggs, meat and tomato. I plan on lunching at the Britannnia today, so look forward to two rather nice meals instead of just one. I only have twenty minutes left out of my two hour internet allotment and we get off of the ship rather early tomorrow so how the rest of my day goes may be a mystery…I know, so sad.

I do plan to, finally, go see the kennels. Yesterday I got another book out of the largest library at sea—Kazuo Ishiguro's We Were Orphans…I started it last night but I'm going to have to really dedicate myself if I'm to finish it before I need to return it. I don't think I'lll be able to.

I'm pretty sure that the Captain just said we had, so far, traveled 5,206 miles. I know it ended in 206, but maybe it didn't start with 5?

Oh and today is supposed to be sunny and 'bright'. The one problem with having the late seating at dinner is that we miss the chance to see the sun set. I'm trying to think of a way that I can both eat and photograph the event, but I'm not sure the way exists…unless it's getting up mid-meal and running to the back (or is it the front?) of the ship, snap, snap, snapping away and then hustling back in time for dessert. Something to ponder.

2 comments:

J said...

I expect posts from Merry Olde England. You know they wear armor and ride horses there, right?

Anonymous said...

I demand that you turn around, march right back up that gang plank and sail back across so you can give us more postings from the Atlantic.