Sunday, August 28, 2005

Horse Racing in Chicago


Last week while still without a definite place to move into, the parents and I went to Arlington Park for a day at the races...where I managed to start with twenty dollars, double it, then lose it all. Oh well. But the track itself was pretty amazing. I have not, by any means, been to every race track in the world but of the six or so I have been to, this one was by far the cleanest. I mean the cement shined! It was strange not to be able to figure out where exactly the backside of the course was but other than that it was a really great day.

On Friday I spent seven hours waiting for the gas people to come and turn on my cooking gas. I had been told to be in the apartment between 11:30 and 3:30, around 3 I called to make sure they hadn't forgotten me (they said they hadn't and were coming). Around 6 I called again and found their offices to be closed and no voicemail to lodge a complaint. So I continue to be unable to eat anything hot in my own home.

Last night I went to Abbey Pub. I went with a friend who is interested in photographing burlesque dancers and that night there was to be a burlesque show. We took two buses to get there and by that time I was starved. The food (I had a chicken sandwich with bacon) was okay but because of the show everything was crazy and it took literally an hour for our rather standard fare to arrive. The show itself was entertaining and funny though some of the acts seemed to be trying to make too many political statements for my taste. Ah me, I felt a bit un-enlightened/provincial. But it was a good time.

This morning went about three blocks away to my local dim sum hookup and had quite the hook up for eight dollars. Dim sum is a lovely thing. Next time I will take photographs.

No comments: