Monday, August 29, 2005

Chicago Pizza And My Day


This was my first true 'Chicago Stuffed Pizza'. I had it on my first day in the city before I decided whether or not to actually come and live in it. Do you see all the cheesy goodness? You should, because it's there.

Today a man named Angel turned on my gas. Or rather, told me my gas was already turned on.

Today I went downtown to SAIC and got my U-Pass, a flimsy little card with my picture on it that will let me transport publicly and for free (kind of).
I also went shopping for graduate school clothing...but didn't end up buying anything other than a pair of black pants. I almost bought a pair of low heeled shoes that seemed like, if I was the kind of girl who wore heels these would be them...but then I didn't buy them.

Books:
I just finished reading Summerland by Michael Chabon. Let me tell you, if you don't read the description of the book and simply go by the cover you're going to be pleasantly surprised. It's somewhere between Lord of the Rings, The Sandlot and Harry Potter...and maybe the bible. Not the best children's (but anyone can read it) book ever...but I did read it in two days.

Also read Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver...a literary enviromentalist's dream book. Filled with lovely sentences and plots interwoven with pleas for enviromentalism and love of coyotes....which is interesting since Summerland's villain goes by (among other names) Coyote.

Also read Jane Smiley's Barn Blind...I believe it was one of her first and not necessarily her best. Though if you like to read about horses/horse people (as I do) you will like this book regardless of some of its flaws.

Now I'm going to go read another book.
I'm freaking out about whether or not I have what it takes to be in this program but at the moment I'm keeping it on the down low.

1 comment:

tobs said...

a ha. now tell me what this program is. i'm out of the loop since i quit my job and fled to the south.