Thursday, July 08, 2010

Rehearsal Dinner c/o the River House, Beers c/o the Portsmouth Brewery

After the rehearsal we returned to the hotel and had a little regrouping time before the rehearsal dinner T.'s parents were throwing. E., C. and I walked around Portsmouth for a bit, stopping and looking at a variety of stores' wares...most of which was quite cute or stylish, if inordinately expensive. The dinner was held at the River House Restaurant. This was the view our group had in a private back room.
Snacks included baked brie in some sort of crazy magical panko-like crust and a creamy crab/lobster/maybe artichoke concoction. Mmm.
When T.'s parents sent out the menu choices for the dinner a few weeks before the event, I agonized over the choices. There were two clear frontrunners: the whole lobster or the lobster roll. I hemmed. I hawed. I dillied. I dallied. I consulted my Facebook status oracles. I finally decided to go with the lobster roll for two main reasons. The first, that L. suggested this was a good choice. The second, that I would make far less of a mess eating a lobster roll when compared with the carnage of separating lobster shell from lobster lovely meatiness. Anways. Before the entree, we were served a chowder. It was well balanced, not too thick, not too thin, but still creamy and with a proportionate number of real seafood chunks. If that makes sense.
While I did not order the lobster, its presentation was worth at least one photograph. The lemons are between its claws! It is offering you lemon because it knows it will taste better that way. I love lobsters, they have such great manners.
My lobster roll was generous with its lobster meat and had a good mayonaise (or whatever it is?) ratio, making it not too sloppy or soggy. The roll was buttered an inch away from its life. I love butter, I do, but I think it's the richness of the butter that makes me shy away from a full on appreciation of lobster rolls. That said, this was a good one.

There was crazy setting sun light.
And a fresh berry tart with vanilla ice cream.
I tried to make friends with this little guy but not with too much success.


After the dinner, and a round of entertaining and heartfelt speeches, a number of us went to the Portsmouth Brewery for beers. I tried the Smuttynose Old Brown Dog, and found it to my liking. I took so many more photographs but I'm working on them a bit.

No comments: