Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Vegetarian @ Chicago Diner

After the movie we headed to the Chicago Diner for dinner. The Chicago Diner is an exclusively vegetarian restaurant leaning towards favoring vegans...though without the militant attitude. We sat in a slightly raised booth across from the bar (both juice and alcohol) in the relatively narrow restaurant. Most everything on the menu is about ten dollars which makes having an appetizer a bit pricy for too people, but the portions are more than fair for the price.
We ordered the Middle Eastern Plate which came with olives, hummus, tabouleh, feta cheese (you could have tofu if you wanted), falafel, stuffed grapeleafs, pita bread, cucumbers and carrots. Everything about this plate was great, my only wish would have been for more falafel. The hummus tasted fresh and the cheese had bite, we weren't able to finish it all.
The boyfriend ordered a Reuben with seitan corned beef and all the normal Reuben fixins...it was a monstrous sandwich. I ordered the Sante Fe Salad...which, to be honest, wasn't quite as exciting as I had hoped. All the ingredients of the salad were right up my alley--avocados, olives, corn, tomatoes, fake chorizo, etc--but the lime-cilantro dressing and my taste buds did not get along. This is strange because I love cilantro and I love lime and yet this dressing didn't seem, to me, to taste like either. Or if it tasted like lime it tasted like lime out of a bottle that has been open for three years. This is harsh but how I felt. The boyfriend on the other hand thought the salad tasted great and so, for the record, it may have been just me.
The boyfriend was a little disappointed in this restaurant that seemed so eco-friendly with its organic produce and hip low key atmosphere, when they brought out our leftovers in styrofoam containers and a flimsy plastic bag. Just goes to show you.

No comments: