Monday, March 09, 2009

Chicken Dinner c/o My Own Awesome Abilities

The weekend before last I roasted a chicken. Nothing revolutionary: cilantro butter, topped with black forest bacon, stuffed with a quarter of an onion and a handful of portobello mushrooms.
I have sort of made a general promise to myself that the meat eat should, whenever possible, come from better sources (this is a result of reading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, which I keep meaning to write about but have thus far left on the far back burner...you know the one, the one that gets farther and farther away until it's just a lost cause), so this chicken came from Whole Foods...I don't think it was necessarily organic, but I think I'm supposed to believe that it had a better life than, say, a Perdue chicken. It was certainly more expensive. Cost aside, I did find myself enjoying the succulence of the meat and feeling less queasy about where it had come from than I have with the last few chickens I have roasted and consumed.
And bacon makes everything better. It's one of the few things of which that can be said. You will see soon enough what I did with the remaining chicken.

No comments: