Sunday, June 15, 2008

Eh c/o Appalachian Brewing Company

On Monday my mother and I took up the kind offer of a non-hotel night at my mother's cousins' house right outside Gettysburg. We didn't know where to have dinner so we ended up going back (or, in my mother's case, trying for the first time) to Appalachian Brewing Company. This time around I had their Brewer's Cheddar Ale Soup and the Sante Fe Salad. I know this soup was ungodly and unholy and seriously not good...but I liked it with a splash of tabasco sauce and you can judge me if you want to...but why bother?
Feeling a bit guilty about the absolute slide in my diet (not that I'm dieting, just that usually I eat more veggies than I had been during this trip) I ordered the Sante Fe salad. In a moment of stupidity/blankness I didn't notice that more shredded/processed cheese would be heaped on this salad. I also found that the description in the menu- "Fresh mixed greens topped with
tomatoes, cucumbers, black olives, red onions, green peppers, roasted red peppers, black beans, cheddar jack cheese, and yellow corn tortillas. Served with Susquehanna Stout BBQ ranch dressing"- and the actual meal put in front of me were not without their incongruencies. First there were no red peppers or black beans. Second, there was a total of three black olives and not that many tomatoes. Third, the barbeque ranch dressing, which seemed suspicious from the very beginning, was really not something anyone should ever want to put on a salad. So, basically, the salad kind of blew. I took off all the chips, pushed as much cheese to one side, requested more olives (because I thought, at the time, that maybe I was crazy to expect red peppers...but having done my research I have been vindicated as totally sane, bitches) and Italian dressing. But altogether it was a disappointing experience. Though their Wheat Ale was quite lovely, actually.
So, my final opinion on this place? I think if you went there to drink beer and watch sports you'd be very pleased. I think, also, though I can't be sure, that if you ordered something fried or a burger they wouldn't fuck it up...but the food just ain't all that great.

No comments: