Sunday, October 29, 2006

Watching And Reading

On Friday the boyfriend and I stayed in. I made us a dinner of salmon, sage mashed turnips and peas and we watched some movies. The first movie was North By Northwest. I put the movie on my Netflix queue after seeing that shot of Cary Grant running from a plane for the millionth time in my life. I figured it wouldn't be so bad to actually understand the context in which he's running from a plane. I always assumed he was in a desert and that the plane was, somehow, war related. I was wrong. He's supposed to be in Illinois and war is not really what it's about (though the cold war certainly is used).
After a bit of a break we watched A Life Without Pain. This movie is depressing. Interesting and fascinating ... but depressing. Do not watch it at 11:30 at night, it will just make you sad. That being said, it was a movie about three families and the children within the families that have a medical condition that makes it so they don't feel pain (worst sentence ever). Ugh. What interested me the most was the way all the parents totally stood up to this extreme challenge and that they were pretty frank and open. Because the kids don't feel anything they're more likely to get severe injuries...thus all the parents had been, at one time or another, accused of child abuse. Seriously, these kids could break their skulls on the pavement and not notice anything wrong. Crazy, crazy, crazy stuff.
Earlier this week I read this book. It's by a woman who lived in the same area as I did in Maryland. In fact we belonged to the same pool and I had, at one point or another, a crush on her son (but couldn't find him for the boys project which was a disappointment). This book is actually for a young adult audience (my mother brought it to Chicago last time she was here and I finally had nothing else to read) and for that audience it wasn't bad. Girl protagonist learns life lessons from old woman photographer. Boys and horses etc. I liked the photography angle on all of it. Kudos for getting a book deal.

No comments: