Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Julep and Po-Boy c/o Khyber Pass

Last Friday BC gave me a call - or maybe I called her first - and suggested I meet up with her and her friend A. That is not right. What happened was this: BC and A. were going to go to a shoe boutique for some wine and shopping event. I thought about joining them but was still at work. Then BC called to say it wasn't that great (very expensive shoes) and suggested that I pick a restaurant at which we could meet and enjoy a meal and each other's company. For some reason, on that day, I was slightly paralyzed by what is usually a request I am happy to take care of. I just couldn't come up with a place right off the top of my head. Eventually I regrouped, called BC back and gave her a few options. Ultimately we opted for Khyber Pass. I do so enjoy their menu when I actually get there. One of these days I'm going to sit at the bar proper and take a closer look at that scene. In any case, when I arrived BC and A. were already seated with beers and food on the way. So I had to move quickly with my own decisions. First up, a mint julep on the rocks. Pretty good, though maybe a little sweeter than I usually would expect. This is funny because I love me some sugar, but it was noticeably sweet.
And then there was the much more difficult decision. The decision of food. The responsible-I-don't-want-to-get-so-fat-nobody-will-marry-me-and-vegetables-really-are-good-for-me-and-oh-also-I-am-not-made-of-money decision would have been a salad. And then I so enjoyed the bbq meat sampler I tried when LB came to town. Furthermore there is the fact that, actually? I don't think I've ever had a po-boy. So the call was a tough one. In the end I put my chances of ever having sex, eating vegetables or having a healthy bank account balance (or cholesterol level) in serious peril in favor of trying Khyber's fried shrimp/fried oyster po-boy, choosing to complete my downfall by opting for the macaroni and cheese as a side. Yup. I will die alone.
It was a pretty tasty sandwich, and generous in its portion size. The mac n' cheese was also very creamy and full of goodness. I only was able to consume half the sandwich and while I did get it to go, I forgot it in BC's purse when we went to National Mechanics for one more drink. Hopefully she knows this and it's not still there because, frankly, that would be pretty gross.

No comments: