Sunday, August 30, 2009

Scavenging

I've been trying to take more walks as of late, for two different reasons. The first reason being, simply, an effort to get a little more exercise. I often wish that I was a far more svelte person than I am (or have been in years and years), but I have this thing about gyms...mainly that the concept of being in a place where I get red faced in front of others is entirely out of the question (even if those around me are also getting red faced) and running isn't my thing either (I will not even bother with my thoughts about bikes), so I figure if I were to regularly walk 3 miles that would make some sort of dent in my soft body (I don't really think that my eating habits are all bad, it's really the whole living across from work and not going anywhere that I see as the problem). The second reason being that I've lived in Philly for over a year and I still don't like it all that much.

So. I am hoping that blog readers and friends of blog readers could start to provide me with a scavenger hunt of sorts. Or, put another way, I'm hoping to be given interesting places to go that will reenforce this desire to walk places. I've been thinking of this as a scavenger hunt, but maybe that's the wrong word. The only proof I feel I would need would be a photograph of whatever the places were (I'm not interested in trying to find a man with a blue hat and yellow shoes and asking him to do the mashed potato). So, if you live in Philly---or have ever considered visiting the city and know of certain places/things you would like to see/do--I would be interested in amassing these locations for my own personal benefit. I live a little north of center city, so locations walkable from there would be great. I'm looking not to spend money on the majority of these ventures, as the point is not to consume as much as experience the travel time. What? Worst attempt to get responses ever. I will try again some other time.

5 comments:

Darts said...

have you walked along the waterfront at penn's landing? do you like to kayak? the last time i was there, they had free kayaking on sundays. i think it was around the end of walnut street...just walk south of the seaport museum, you'll see it.

you can get ice cream at franklin fountain; that's between front and 2nd on market.

Darts said...

if you walk south along the schuylkill, you'll reach locust st. exit the path/cross the train tracks, keep walking south and you'll see a park with a community garden and...a PUPPY park!

J said...

Some of my favorite places:

Wissahickon Park:
http://www.fow.org/scenic.php

If you walk down Kelly Dr. you can access it over a bridge I believe.

Or you can get there from MLK Dr. side-think that's what it's called now.

The walk along the old canal in Manayunk is nice.

Walking down 9th st. through the Italian market, which should probably be called the international market now.

Also, along Kelly Dr.-though not the access point is that awesome, creepy looking giant cemetery. Forget what it's called.

Unknown said...

http://img140.imageshack.us/i/findthis.jpg/

Somewhere on Delancey street... Hint: It is approximately 2.5 miles from your office.

cc said...

Keep em coming people, pass this along, I want to have such a long list of places that the concept of my having nowhere to walk is just plain stupid.

Craig, your reverse scavenging is compelling.