Monday, May 10, 2010

Salumi and Salad c/o Giovanni Restaurant

On my first or second evening back in Nashville my parents and I went to Giovanni Restaurant for dinner. This was the location of their last meal together before my mother went into the hospital nearly a month before. The olive tapenade and rosemary infused bread was a nice way to start, as was the wine. What was less ideal was the Maitre D's excessive use of cologne and/or aftershave. I mean, it was knock-you-over-the-head unavoidable, which meant that I'd be in mid bite or sip when my olfactory senses would be overwhelmed by his specific musk. Musk? I don't know. I just think that if you work in a restaurant, you shouldn't wear so much of a scent that it could interfere with your customers' eating experience.
I ordered the salumi misto appetizer and the beef and mozzarella salad for my meal. It was very dark, so instead of even bothering with faithful presentations of the food, I have chosen to Photoshop beyond recognition. I generally don't care for prosciutto, but this stuff was pretty good. The salumi/sopressata had a nice kick to it, and the one whose name I cannot remember, but had a sort of upscale bologna feel to it was quite satisfying. Chicken liver stuffed in olives was a little too much, but chicken liver on toast was just right.
The salad was way chunky, which is something I could get behind. Also, at a table a few feet away from us, the mayor or governor sat. Probably mayor? This was before the floods, so they were just having a great time.
I forget what the dessert was, and none of the menu's descriptions entirely synch with this dish. Probably some sort of ricotta concoction?

2 comments:

j, foodie blog enthusiast said...

mmm.

mortadella, maybe?

cc said...

yessss