Sunday, September 07, 2008

Laborious Day

While I will be eternally grateful to C. for her well-timed and generous sublet offer, the apartment was never my speed. Too high up, too removed from good voyeurism, too white-carpeted. There were certainly benefits, like how close to center city the place was and the big ass televisions C. left behind for my use. All to say that I am grateful, it was going to be way too overwhelming to find a place to live and start work at the same time and I might have decided to live somewhere farther away from work and that would have been a very bad choice. All to say that on September first I vacated the sublet and got myself partially situated in my new apartment. As did my new roommate D. D. had the help of her parents in the move and afterwards they asked if I'd like to join them for dinner, which I did, so off we went to the very nearby Belgian Cafe. I started with a Unibroue Ephemere Apple.
We shared a bit of smoked trout.
I tried a cup of their yellow tomato gazpacho.
I had a burger with a name, it had cheddar and bacon. And a tiny side of salad. It was cooked appropriately though not overly generous in its size. Their choice of salad instead of fries (which I am sure is a cultural truism of some kind) was interesting and for the best but I wished for a larger portion of salad.
Thanks to D. and her parents for a lovely meal at the end of quite a tiresome day....though stay tuned to a number of far more tiresome days, sigh.

No comments: