Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Reel Paradise

The other night the boyfriend and I watched Reel Paradise, a documentary about an American family living in Fiji. The Pierson family's patriarch is John (I think) and he's some sort of big deal indie distributor type...he brought Spike Lee and Michael Moore to the masses, I think. So he decided that it would be cool to bring his family to the most remote movie theater in the world which was/is on the most remote island of Fiji. So he and the fam packed up and moved to Fiji to show free movies to the locals for a year. The film's footage is all from their last month being on the island. The Pierson family includes Janet, the mother, Georgia, the sixteen year old daughter, and Wyatt, the thirteen year old son. I found that by the end of the movie I wouldn't want to be friends with most of the Pierson family...and yet their story is strangely compelling. Watch it and try to figure out which one you'd want to be friends with (I think Wyatt).

No comments: